place by General Hebert
for the purpose, and to establish a factory for making harness leather and saddles for the army.
Those regiments that got to Arkansas
first were stationed at what was later called Camp Nelson
, commanded by Colonel Nelson
, who was shortly afterward appointed brigadier-general, but died a short time after he was appointed.
He was succeeded in the command by Gen. Henry E. McCulloch
, who had gone there with a number of the regiments that he had fitted out with teams and wagons.
The Fourth brigade, under Colonel Deshler
, was ordered to Arkansas
Post at the mouth of the Arkansas river
, and with Colonel Garland
's brigade, composed of his regiment (Sixth infantry) and those of Colonels Wilkes
(Twenty-fourth cavalry) and Gillespie
(Twenty-fifth cavalry), were captured by the Federal
forces, aided by their gunboats.
After their exchange, in May, 1863, they did service east of the Mississippi river
The other three brigades constituted the division known during the war as Walker
's division of Texas
infantry, the largest body of Texas
troops that retained their organization to the end of the war. It was in service in Louisiana
in 1863 and 1864, and at the battles of Mansfield
, Pleasant Hill
, and Jenkins' Ferry, Ark. It was commanded by Maj.-Gen. John G. Walker
during its active service.
The brigades were commanded by Henry E. McCulloch
, General Hawes
, Gen. Wm
, Gen. H. Randal
, Gen. R. Waterhouse
and Gen. T. N. Waul
, at different times.
There were also many changes in the field officers of the regiments.
In February, 1865, four cavalry regiments, Chisum
's, Candle's, J. M. Wells
', and De Morse
's, were dismounted and distributed in the division, and a new brigade, the Fourth, formed with Flournoy
, Candle's and Wells
' regiments, and Brig.-Gen. W. H. King
assigned to the command of it. The division was finally commanded by General Forney
, when General Walker
was placed in