of infantry, and at once assigned to duty in the State
, where they showed a devotion and daring that entitled them to the highest commendation.
Company F, Captain Williams
, from Bradford county
, was sent to Cedar Keys
in June, where Company C, of the Second Florida, under Capt. Walter R. Moore
, was stationed.
On the 4th of July, 1861, details from these two companies went aboard the steamer Madison
to make an attack on certain vessels lying out in the gulf, and captured three schooners.
Companies D, E and K of the regiment were stationed on the coast of Tampa bay
, a very isolated and unprotected part of the country, having no railroad communication with the interior of the State
; Companies B, C and I at St. Marks
, a very important fishing point and port for shipping lumber and other stores; Company F at Cedar Keys
, and H and G at Fernandina
until the evacuation of that place in March, 1862, when they were ordered to Camp Langford in the vicinity of Jacksonville
The enemy having landed at Jacksonville
soon after the occupation of Fernandina
by the Federal
forces about the 12th of March, on the night of the 24th Lieutenant Strange
of Company H, and C. H. Ross
and Frank Ross
of Company 1, Third Florida regiment, with ten volunteers, attacked the Federal
picket at the ‘Brick Church,’ killing four and capturing three.
In this skirmish Lieutenant Strange
was mortally wounded.
Soon after this event the Fourth Florida was ordered to Corinth, Miss.
While these organizations of infantry were being effected, other volunteer companies were formed of men who desired to enlist in another and very essential branch of the service in a country so open to invasion, and they were soon ready to be united into independent battalions and regiments of cavalry.
In a State whose line of seacoast, washed by the Atlantic
and the Gulf of Mexico
, was more than 1,200 miles in extent—with no gunboats and cruisers to protect her seaport towns, neither adequate shore batteries—the defense of the territory required