States army for three years or the war, as the Second Florida regiment of cavalry.
Some time previous to this, Maj. J. J. Dickison
, a citizen of Marion county
, fitted for cavalry service as a staff officer of General Hardee
while a citizen of South Carolina
, had engaged in recruiting soldiers for independent cavalry service in the Confederate army.
Before his company was complete a proposition was made by Capt. J. M. Martin
, a graduate of the Charleston
military school, who preferred artillery service, that the company be changed to artillery.
This was agreed to, provided he would accept the position of captain, to which proposal he assented It was then organized at Ocala
as the Marion
Light Artillery, with John M. Martin
, captain; J. J. Dickison
, first lieutenant
; R P. McCants
, second lieutenant
, and Wm. Tidwell
, third lieutenant
On the 4th of November, 1861, the company was ordered by Governor Milton
, and instructed to call on Col. D. P. Holland
for the battery of field pieces in his possession belonging to the State of Florida
, with all its equipment, and to report to Brigadier-General Trapier
, commanding district of Florida.
In the absence of Captain Martin
, Lieutenant Dickison
reported the command to Col. Charles Hopkins
, then in command of the post, and was received by him into the Confederate States
On the 21st of November Lieutenant Dickison
reported first and second lieutenants present with 6 non-commissioned officers, 45 privates and 26 horses, with certainty of 29 additional privates
with the requisite number of horses, the remaining officers to arrive in a few days with a roll of 106 men. He was then ordered by Colonel Dilworth
, commanding the department, to make requisition on the quartermaster and commissary, the company having been received into the Confederate
service as field artillery and attached to the Third regiment of Florida
The company remained on Amelia island