previous next
[300] at the Jackson City Hotel; but had to borrow money to pay for it, as I had loaned my last cent to my hungry comrades to get breakfast at Humboldt. Such is my experience of the retreat from Columbus.

March 4th.—Humboldt. Left Jackson this morning at 8 o'clock, and rejoined my regiment at this place. Arrived here at ten o'clock, and pitched tents in the afternoon. Lost my knapsack with several articles of clothing, towels, and blacking brush. Raining hard.

March 6th.—A very cold day. As I was going to the depot this morning, I met Captain Mellersh, who said ‘Come with me,’ declining to tell me where he was going, but intimating that he was about to start on a secret and dangerous expedition in the direction of the enemy. He selected fifteen trusty fellows, and we were soon at the depot, waiting for the train. At 12 o'clock the conductor shouted ‘all aboard,’ and at 3 o'clock, we were at Paris, twenty miles from the Tennesee river. It is now understood that we are to go as near the river as we can and take down the telegraph wire. We all supped at the Yowell house. It is snowing, and we may look for a rough time.

March 7th.—We proceeded as far as West Sandy Creek with the cars, where our progress was arrested by the burning of the bridge. Our squad here divided-five going forward with a hand car that we lifted across the stream; the rest of us returning with the engine, and taking down the wire at the rate of one mile an hour. We secured about four miles of wire, and will probably get the remainder tomorrow. On our way down the car was thrown from the track, but we were fortunately running at a very slow rate of speed, and no damage was done. We enjoyed a fine country dinner at a farm house.

Sunday, March 9th.—Paris. Attended preaching this morning, land visited the cemetery. There were a few handsome monuments, but the place seemed greatly neglected. On the gate was this inscription, ‘Injure nothing here; it may be thy resting place.’ After dinner we started to West Sandy to meet our comrades who had been taking down the wire from the river to Big Sandy. John and Will Trigg, Claridge, Ed. Owen, and I were left with the train while the others went on to bring the wire. While they were gone we employed ourselves in getting wood and bailing water for the engine. At nine oa clock we went to supper. The early part of the night was beautiful and the moon was shining brightly, but dark clouds began to gather, and while at supper a heavy rain commenced

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
John Trigg (1)
Edward Owen (1)
Mellersh (1)
J. R. Jackson (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
March 9th (1)
March 7th (1)
March 6th (1)
March 4th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: