bridge was a tete du pont, prepared for the reception of siege pieces or light artillery.
The point at Beaulieu
being an important one, was strongly fortified and provided with one 8-inch and two 10-inch columbiads, two 42 and three 32-pounder guns.
A light battery was also stationed within supporting distance.
Rose Dew Battery was armed with three 10-inch columbiads, one 10-inch mortar, and one 32 and one 18-pounder rifle gun.
Colonel Edward C. Anderson
was during the siege assigned to the general command of these fixed batteries.
The guns in these positions were supplied with an average of rather more than one hundred rounds of ammunition to the piece.
As additional obstructions to an ascent of the Savannah river
by the enemy, cribs filled with brick and stone had been sunk in the channel below the forts and under cover of their guns.
Below the Thunderbolt
Battery the river was impeded by quantities of live-oak logs.
Constituting the right of this exterior line designed and held for the protection of Savannah
, and erected at Genesis' Point on the right bank of the Great Ogeechee river
, Fort McAllister
effectually commanded the channel of that stream, shielded the important railroad bridge near Way
's station, and preserved the rice plantations in its neighborhood from molestation and demoralization.
From the day of its construction, which was coeval with the earliest Confederate defenses on the Georgia coast
, to the hour of its capture on the 13th of December, 1864, it subserved purposes most conducive to the general welfare, and on various occasions gallantly repulsed well sustained naval attacks from the enemy.
Although the mantle of decay is spread above its deserted magazines and rank weeds are choking its vacant gun-chambers, the heroic memories which it has bequeathed and the noble part it sustained in the Confederate struggle for independence will not be forgotten in the lapse of years or lightly esteemed in the record of truth and valor.
No name is more proudly remembered on the Georgia coast
than that of this now almost obliterated earthwork.
Seven times did it successfully withstand the attacks of Federal gunboats and ironclads attempting its demolition.
During its bombardment of the 20th of January, 1863, for the first time in the history of naval warfare were 15-inch guns used in the effort to reduce a shore battery, and here was demonstrated the ability of sand parapets to resist the disintegrating effect of shot and shell projected from guns of the heaviest calibre.
After the attack of the 3rd of March, 1863, in