eulogistic remarks, General Wade Hampton
, of South Carolina
, who delivered an eloquent address, which will be found in the January number, 1874, of the Southern Magazine
. Appropriate addresses were subsequently made by Hon. J. L. M. Curry
, L. L. D., Rev. Moses D. Hoge, D. D.
, and Major Robert Stiles
The Society reassembled the following day in the same place, when the chairman of the Executive Committee, General Dabney H. Maury
, reported that ‘a contract had been made with Messrs. Turnbull Brothers
, Baltimore, Maryland
, by which the Society had bound itself to make the Southern Magazine
, published by said Turnbull Brothers, its organ for all its publications; the publishers agreeing to issue every month, free of cost, an appendix to their magazine of twenty pages of the historical documents of the Society, to be paged as a separate series and to print for the Society as much more of its records as might be desired at a moderate cost.’
A retrospect as to the mediums of publication of the reports, etc., of the Society may be deemed of interest.
The first official reports of the Southern Historical Society were published in the New Orleans Picayune
, and cognate matter in ‘The Land We Love
’ Charlotte, N. C.
, conducted by General D. H. Hill
In July, 1869, this publication was merged into ‘The New Eclectic Magazine
,’ published in Baltimore, Maryland
, by Turnbull
‘The New Eclectic Magazine
’ was later merged into the ‘Southern Magazine
Turnbull Brothers continued their connection with the Southern Historical Society until July, 1875, when they appear to have become financially involved.
The first volume of the ‘Transactions’ were published as provided in the JanuaryDecem-ber numbers, inclusive, of the ‘Southern Magazine
The second volume, as stated, was never completed.
At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Society held December 17, 1874, a letter from Colonel Munford
, resigning his office as Secretary
and Treasurer of the Society because of new engagements into which he had entered, was read.
On motion, the resignation was accepted with regrets for the necessity of his action, and thanks for the faithful and efficient manner in which he had discharged the duties of his office.
Rev. J. William Jones, D. D.
, was then elected Secretary
and Treasurerpro tem
. At a meeting held January 12, 1875, his election was made permanent.