previous next

[121] Mrs. S. C. Vedder, Secretary of the Central Committee of the Memorial Association of Fairfax county.]

A little more than two years ago a little notice was inserted in the Fairfax Herald, signed ‘Ex-Confederate,’ requesting the citizens of Fairfax Courthouse and vicinity to meet in the Courthouse on a day designated, for the purpose of taking steps to erect a monument to the Confederate soldiers of Fairfax who died or were killed during the late war. Captain John N. Ballard was the gentlemen who had the notice inserted and by whose indomitable energy and perseverance an association was formed, of which he was made chairman, known as the Confederate Monument Association. Work was soon begun in earnest, liberal contributions were made and quite a large sum was quickly subscribed, which was considerably augumented by fairs and festivals held in different sections of the county by the ladies, who are always prompt to engage in any good work.

Fairfax Courthouse, where the monument is erected, lies between two railroads, the Washington and Ohio railroad passing five miles on the one side, and the Virginia Midland three miles on the other. Roads lead from Fairfax station on the Midland road, and Vienna on the Washington and Ohio road, connecting these stations directly with the Courthouse. Besides these many county roads centre at the Courthouse.

The contract for the monument was given to Mr. J. F. Manning, of Washington, the contract price being $1,200. It was placed in position September 15th, and was dedicated October 1, 1890. It stands in the cemetery about three-quarters of a mile north of the village, upon a commanding eminence, formerly the site of the parsonage of the Episcopal Church in that neighborhood. The parsonage was destroyed by fire during the war, and afterwards the ground was purchased by the Ladies' Memorial Association.

The monument is twenty-six feet high and is built of Richmond granite, and stands on a mound of earth about six feet above the surface of the ground. The monument consists of three base-blocks, a die, and a shaft. Upon the second base, in raised letters are the words, ‘Confederate Dead.’

On the front or north side is the following inscription:

From Fairfax to Appomattox.

1861-865.

Erected to the memory of the gallant sons of Fairfax whose names are inscribed on this monument, but whose bodies lie buried on distant


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Fairfax (2)
S. C. Vedder (1)
J. F. Manning (1)
Fairfax Herald (1)
John N. Ballard (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 1st, 1890 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
September 15th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: