The dedication procession fell into line on Payne street, the head of the column resting on Court street, and the line moved at 11:30 in the following order:
, Judge D. M. Chichester
, and mounted aids, Captains J. Owen Berry
, B. M. Mason
, Fontaine Beattie
, and J. H. Barnes
. W. D. McWhorter
and W. P. Moncure
Carriages containing Senator John W. Daniel
, orator of the day; Hon. James L. Gordon
, the poet; General W. H. F. Lee
, representing the Ladies Memorial Association
, and the committees.
Music by the Alexandria
R. E. Lee
Camp Confederate Veterans, of Alexandria
, fifty strong, under commander William A. Smoot
—black suit, slouch hat, canes and badges.
Camp Marr, of Fairfax
, named after Captain Marr
, of Warrenton
, who was killed in the raid on Fairfax Courthouse in 1861, being the first soldier killed there in the defence of the village.
Other ex-Confederates, well marshalled and presenting a veteran appearance.
R. E. Lee
Camp Sons of Veterans, of Alexandria
, sixty strong, commanded by Captain Samuel G. Brent
—dark clothes, caps, and canes.
Before noon the line, attended by a large crowd, moved down Court street to Mechanics street, thence down Mechanics to Main street, thence up Main street to the cemetery.