This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
‘  generous impulses of our nature were brought constantly into action, stimulated by the heroic endurance and splendid gallantry of our soldiers.’1 The village of Chapel Hill was taken possession of by Federal troops on April 17, 1865. The brigade was under the command of General S. D. Atkins, of Illinois, and was composed of 4,000 Michigan cavalry. He moved his division westward seventeen days later, except a single company, which occupied the college buildings for more than two months. During May General Couch passed through the village at the head of 12,000 men. It is worthy of note that the entire damage sustained by the village and college from the invaders is estimated by Governor Swain not to have exceeded $100. Nor was this occupation without a tinge of romance, for in the midst of these surroundings the daughter of Governor Swain was wooed and won by General Atkins, and Cupid began the work of Reconstruction. The following summary of statistics of Confederate dead of the University of North Carolina is made up from the list prepared by Colonel William L. Saunders for the four tablets in Memorial Hall (which contain 271 names, and give rank and class), from the additions to the list found in the catalogue of the Dialectic Society (containing 308 names), edited by Dr. William J. Battle; from the additions found in the Register of the Philanthropic Society (containing 272 names), edited by the present writer; from the the ‘Biographical Sketches of the Confederate dead of the University of North Carolina’ (containing 162 names), edited by the present writer and published in the North Carolina University Magazine, 1887-91, and from other miscellaneous sources, chiefly correspondence:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.