previous next

[59] crowded with the best talent of Tennessee, Alabama and other States which had been attracted to this new country by its great prosperity and promise, I accepted the position of deputy sheriff of De Soto county under my brother-in-law, Col. James H. Murray, who had been elected to that office in the fall of 1843. I held this position, from which a comfortable support was derived, till 1846, when the prospect seemed favorable to commence the practice of law. In the summers of 1844 and 1845 I spent three months of each year at the law school of Judge Thomas B. Monroe at Montrose over at Frankfort, Ky. I have always regarded these months as more profitably spent than any others of my life. In 1847 I formed a partnership with R. B. Mayes, a young lawyer of the State about my own age. (During the time I discharged the functions of deputy sheriff, I also practiced law in partnership with my former preceptor, E. F. Buckner, whenever I could do so consistently with the duties of the office.) In October, 1847, I received an earnest appeal from Governor A. G. Brown, of Mississippi, to organize a company in response to a call from the President of the United States, for service in Mexico. (I had previously made several efforts to enter the military service during the war with Mexico, but all the organizations from De Soto county had failed to be received by the Governor, their distance from the capital making them too late in reporting.) In a few days I organized a company of volunteers from the regiment of militia in the county, of which I was then colonel. I was elected captain of the company without opposition. H. Car Forrest was elected 1st lieutenant, my brother John Adair was elected 2d lieutenant, and my brother Thomas Scott, orderly sergeant. The company repaired hurriedly to Vicksburg, the rendezvous. Two other companies had already reached the encampment. After waiting a fortnight or more for the other two companies of the battalion called for by the President to report, the five companies were sent to New Orleans for equipment and organization. Having received arms, clothing, &c., they embarked about the 2d of January, 1848, for Tampico, Mexico.

On the 22d of February, 1848, I was elected at Tampico lieutenant-colonel to command the battalion. I remained at Tampico till the close of the war, when I was mustered out of the service along with the battalion at Vicksburg, Miss., and reached my home at Hernando on the 4th of July, 1848.

I resumed the practice of law in partnership with R. B. Mayes. Our prospects were flattering as the business of the firm was gradually

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
R. B. Mayes (2)
Thomas Scott (1)
James H. Murray (1)
Thomas B. Monroe (1)
H. Car Forrest (1)
E. F. Buckner (1)
A. G. Brown (1)
John Adair (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 4th, 1848 AD (1)
February 22nd, 1848 AD (1)
January 2nd, 1848 AD (1)
October, 1847 AD (1)
1847 AD (1)
1846 AD (1)
1845 AD (1)
1844 AD (1)
1843 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: