previous next

[61] March. My uncle, John Adair, who had removed to Astoria in Oregon in 1848, was now in Washington city and was extremely anxious for me to remove to that distant region, where my brothers John and Butler had gone in 1850. Through his instrumentality and the kindness of Mr. Davis (now Secretary of War) I was appointed United States marshal for the Territory of Washington. I accepted it and set about making preparations for the journey. Two difficulties were in the way—1st, the want of money, and 2d, I was engaged to be married to my cousin Henrietta Buford Adair, and I doubted the policy of taking her into such a wild and new country with no other help or dependence for a support than my own exertions. I returned to Memphis where she was, consulted her, and we agreed to try our fortunes on this unknown sea. Her father gave her eight hundred dollars, and by borrowing six hundred from Stephen D Johnston, of De Soto county [this was soon returned by collections from his practice, which his health at the time did not permit him to attend to.—E. A. A.], I raised about the same amount. [My recollection is he raised about one thousand, possibly a little over.—E. A. A.] We were married in Memphis on the 30th of April, 1853, and in an hour afterwards were on our way to the Pacific coast aboard of a Mississippi steamer bound for New Orleans. We embarked at New Orleans on the 7th of May on board a steamer bound for Greytown in Nicaragua. The first day at sea my wife was taken very ill of fever. For several days her life seemed to be suspended by a thread. These were the most anxious days of my life. Happily she was better by the time we reached Greytown. Taking a small river steamer there we commenced the ascent of the San Juan river. After several days of toil we reached Virgin Bay, only to learn that the steamer from San Francisco, on which we had expected to reach that city on her return trip, had sprung a leak and was compelled to go down the coast to Panama for repairs, and that she would probably not return for a month. This was a great disappointment to the eight hundred passengers at Virgin Bay, who were eager to reach the gold fields of California, but to me it was a matter for rejoicing, since a few weeks' rest in Nicaragua would probably restore my wife to health before undertaking another long sea voyage. We remained at Virgin Bay nearly a month. My wife recovered, and we embarked at San Juan del Sud the first week in June. Reached San Francisco in fourteen days, where we had to stay near a fortnight in wait for the steamer which was to take us to the Columbia river. At the expiration of this time we set sail in the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Stephen (1)
Joseph E. Johnston (1)
Jefferson Davis (1)
William H. Butler (1)
John Adair (1)
Henrietta Buford Adair (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
April 30th, 1853 AD (1)
1850 AD (1)
1848 AD (1)
June (1)
May 7th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: