previous next

[264] Rappahannock below Fredericksburg. Colonel James Conner rejoined the regiment while it was stationed there, but was still unfitted by his severe wound for active duty. The services of Lieutenant-Colonel Gray were lost to the regiment at this time. Always a man of delicate health, he died 16th of March, 1863. Major C. C. Cole was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and Captain O'dell became major, their commissions dating March 16, 1862—positions that these excellent officers were to hold but a short time.

At Chancellorsville in May, 1863, the regiment was in Jackson's flank attack on Hooker, and throughout the whole of the action was heavily engaged. Its losses were very severe. Colonel Cole and Major Odell were both killed, 219 men and twenty-six out of thirty-three officers were killed or wounded, and though the regiment was distinguished by its accustomed efficiency and gallantry, nothing could compensate for the terrible destruction. Chancellorsville was the eighteenth battle of the 22d Regiment, and the most fatal. It went through the Maryland campaign of 1863 and Gettysburg with credit. General Wm. D. Pender had been made a major-general and was now in command of the division, and Colonel Alfred M. Scales, of the 13th Regiment, was promoted brigadier in command of the brigade. It participated in the first day's brilliant success at Gettysburg, was engaged also on the second day, and on the third the brigade was part of General I. R. Trimble's Division, General Pender having been mortally wounded in support of Heth's Division, then under Pettigrew, in the famous charge on Cemetery Heights. In this charge, Archer's and Scales' Brigades occupied and held for a time the Federal works, and when they retreated to the Confederate lines, Scales' Brigade had not one field officer left for duty, and but very few line officers. Its total loss was 102 killed and 322 wounded.

After the return of the regiment to Virginia it was reorganized, when Thomas S. Gallaway, Jr., at one time its major, was elected colonel, to date from September 21st, 1863; Wm. L. Mitchell was lieutenant-colonel; J. H. Welborn, adjutant; J. D. Wilder, quartermaster; P. G. Robinson, surgeon. Benj. A. Cheek was still assistant-surgeon. The line officers, with dates of commission, were as follows:

Company A—Captain: Wm. B. Clarke, October 28, 1862; First Lieutenant: Joseph B. Clarke, October 28, 1862; Second Lieutenant: Wm. A. Tuttle, April 25, 1863.

Company B—Captain——; First Lieutenant: Robert A. Tate,

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: