The old Camp Lee. [from the Richmond, Va. Dispatch, May 22, 1898.]
Its first commandant writes an interesting Sketch. Story of the Camp's formation.It was first used as a Camp of instruction for infantry as well as Cavalry—An Artillery and conscript Camp, finally.
Colonel John C. Shields, the commandant at old Camp Lee, furnishes the Dispatch with a most valuable article, giving the history of the camp from its establishment in the earliest days of the Confederacy, until the close of the war. Colonel Shields was the editor of the Richmond Whig for a number of years, and among older newspaper men in Virginia, his name is very familiar. He was the founder of the Lynchburg Virginian, which was for many years one of the widely influential papers of the State. He stood in the front rank of Virginia journalists in his day, and some of his contributions to the historical data of early Virginia, especially the Valley, are very valuable. Colonel Shields has for several years been retired from journalism, living with his family at his beautiful home in Rockbridge county, where he leads an ideal existence among his books, fruit trees, and flowers.