previous next

[75] Major Jenkins replied: ‘It is important that I should be reinforced to-night. Please hurry Harrison to Coosawhatchie.’

These orders were at once communicated to each command, and were received with enthusiasm.

Colonel Colcock, upon receiving the news, at once mounted his horse and started for Grahamville, stopping at Mr. Bostick's on the way to announce the news, and to explain his necessary absence the next day. Riding all night, he approached Grahamville in the early morning, passed his family in a wagon on the road seeking a place of safety from a battle about to be fought at their doors, and, without stopping, he bade them be of good cheer. He reached Grahamville after sunrise on the 30th and proceeded to the front to observe the situation.

Some idea of the military situation that morning may be formed from this circumstance: It is stated that seven companies of Colonel Colcock's 3d South Carolina cavalry, of about 700 men, were picketing the coast from Stono River to the Savannah, a front of about one hundred miles. Concerning the difficulties of a timely concentration of troops to meet this grave emergency I will give two incidents:

(1) Company B, 3d South Carolina Cavalry, Captain Archibald L. Campbell, was on John's Island, near Charleston. At noon of the 28th, an order came to report at Pocataligo ‘as soon as possible.’ The company took the road in fifteen minutes, Lieutenant Henderson being detailed to draw in distant vedettes and follow. The command rode on through the night and all next day, reaching Pocataligo at sunset of the 29th. After a short rest, the command was ordered to report at or near Boyd's Landing, and another night ride brought them to Bee's Creek works before daylight. From there Captain Campbell proceeded to Honey Hill. From John's Island, where Company B was on duty, was seventy miles by the most available roads.

(2) On the other side of Honey Hill, Earle's Battery was on duty on May River, near Bluffton. The battery received orders at 5 P. M. on the 29th to move promptly to Grahamville, and in a few minutes took the upper road and, passing through Hardeeville and Purysburg, arrived at Grahamville railroad depot before daybreak of the 30th; after feeding the horses and breakfasting the men, the battery proceeded to Honey Hill, several miles distant, arriving there at sunrise. After an all-night march of thirty-five miles and without rest, they went into action. In the United States war records and in other

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
C. J. Colcock (2)
Archibald L. Campbell (2)
John Jenkins (1)
C. G. Henderson (1)
John W. Harrison (1)
W. E. Earle (1)
Isaac Bostick (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
28th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: