This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 beds, and is one of the largest and most successful sanitariums in the country. Dr. McGuire was founder, and at his death President and Professor of Clinical Surgery in the University College of Medicine, in this city, and also President of, and one of the surgeons to, the Virginia Hospital, an institution which, largely through his influence, was established for the sick poor of the State. His abilities have been recognized both at home and abroad in a most flattering manner, and he has received many honorary degrees and held many positions of eminence. The degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon him in 1887 by the University of North Carolina, and in 1888 by the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia. He was President of the Richmond Academy of Medicine in 1869; of the Association of the Medical Officers of the Army and Navy of the Confederate States in 1875; of the Virginia Medical Society in 1880; of the American Surgical Association in 1886; of the Southern Surgical and Gynecological Association in 1889, and of the American Medical Association in 1892. He was VicePresi-dent of the International Medical Congress in 1876, and of the American Medical Association in 1881. He was Associate Fellow of the College of Physicians, of Philadelphia. He was also Honorary Fellow of the D. Hayes Agnew Medical Society, of Philadelphia; of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia, and of the medical societies of various States, among which may be mentioned Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas. He was the only surgeon in this country who ever tied the aorta. He operated fifty-seven times for stone in the bladder after his return to Richmond. He had contributed numerous articles to various journals on gunshot wounds, diseases of the bladder, ovariotomy, etc., besides a detailed account of the ‘Last Wound of General Stonewall Jackson; His Last Moments and Death.’
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.