previous next

[334] but with the arrival of the main body of Lee's army, he was without much trouble, remanded to his original limits. It was after dark when Hagood received his orders, and being unacquainted with the localities, as well as unable to learn much from the confused and contradictory accounts of the volunteer guides who accompanied him when the fork of the City Point and Prince George roads, just beyond the New Market race-course, was reached, he halted his column, and leaving it under Colonel Simonton, rode forward accompanied by two of his staff, to make a personal reconnoissance. He encountered the enemy's pickets on the latter road at the ford where it crosses Harrison's Creek, inside of the original line of defences. The reconnoitering party had nearly ridden in it when they were warned by a wounded Confederate on the roadside. Turning across the field toward the City Point road, Hagood was opportunely met by a courier with a map from Colonel Harris, who had also the foresight to send a bit of tallow candle and matches. With the aid of this, and in conjunction with General Colquitt, who had come up ahead of his brigade, General Hagood determined upon the line of the creek he was then on, and put his men in position. Harrison Creek, running northward, emptied into the Appomattox in rear of Battery 1, and its west fork across the Southern lines, at Battery 15. The creek was, therefore, the chord of the arc of our captured and abandoned works, and the line taken for the most part had very good command over the cleared and cultivated valley in its front. Tabb, holding Batteries 1 and 2, was relieved, and by the time Hagood was well in position, with his left on the river, Colquitt's Brigade coming up, prolonged the line. The remaining brigades of Hoke arrived during the night, and Johnson's Division, from Bermuda Hundred, at 10 A. M. next day. The Confederates now numbered 10,000 men behind their hastily entrenched line, and Burnside's corps coming up at noon on the 16th, raised the Federal forces to 66,000.

The morning of the 16th was spent in skirmishing and artillery fire. In the afternoon General Hancock, now in command, assailed with all his force. The contest was kept up into the night, and some advantage was obtained over our right.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Johnson Hagood (3)
Colquitt (2)
Tabb (1)
Simonton (1)
Robert Edward Lee (1)
Bushrod Johnson (1)
Robert F. Hoke (1)
E. M. Harris (1)
Hancock (1)
Burnside (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
16th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: