previous next

Pursued them to Gaines' Mill.

We passed over the bridge and pursued the enemy on to Gaines' Mill. Here we found them strongly protected behind triple lines of heavy earthworks, with headlogs to protect them. It looked like foolishness to undertake to move them, but they had to be moved. Our brigade crossed the bridge that spans the bridge near Gaines' Mill, and we were soon in a deep-cut road. We followed this road about four hundred yards, when we halted and formed a line of battle and moved off in the direction of an old apple-orchard, which was on the top of a little knoll about two hundred yards in front. At the foot of this knoll our line halted and we were ordered to lie down. This order was obeyed quickly. The little knoll afforded very little protection, but we used it for all it was worth. We got down to our knitting, you bet. We buried ourselves in the ground for an hour [352] or so. Finally a courier galloped up to General Archer, delivered a message, and then galloped off. Then the General walked in front of us and gave the command, ‘Attention!’ in a loud, commanding tone. At this command the whole line arose. The next command was: ‘Forward, march.’ We moved out in regular line of battle toward the enemy's impregnable lines of breastworks. Our general was in front regarding the charge. About the time we got to the top of the little knoll the command was given: ‘Right shoulder, shift arms, charge!’

An incessant fire was being poured into our lines. Young Jim Crow, of Company B, was here shot through the arm, right by my side. The regular rebel yell was then raised. Then across a level plain, through an old field, over deep gullies, for about six hundred yards we charged the enemy in his stronghold. We got to within about one hundred and fifty yards of their lines, when we delivered our first fire. At this time I kept moving on toward them, not thinking that our lines would retreat or fall back after getting that near, although the fire from the enemy's triple lines was furious, and the boys began to waver. Just then General Archer waved his sword over his head, and gave the command: ‘Follow me!’ That command was ringing in my ears until I was shot. I moved on—my color-guard was near me—until within about fifteen or twenty paces of their front line, when I looked back to see if the boys were coming; just then I was shot through my right hip. I did not know how badly I was wounded; I only knew that I was shot down. I raised on my hands like a lizzard on a fence rail and took in the situation as best I could. I soon decided if I could get up I had better do so. It seemed like death either way, but I determined to make the effort to get away. I got up but I found I could not walk, and if I made the trip at all I would have to drag my leg. I grasped my wounded leg with my right hand and started. Just then I saw four of the boys lying down, but I could not tell whether they were all dead or not. I made my way back, dragging my leg, under a galling fire, when a minie ball struck my left wrist, and tore it up and took off my thumb at the same time. I mended my gait a little toward a deep gully. Before I reached it I looked back to see if the ‘Yanks’ were coming, and just at that moment a ball drew a little blood from under my chin. A few more hops and I tumbled down into the deep gully. I wanted to stay there, but the boys insisted that as I was badly wounded I had better try and get to the rear or I would be captured. [353]

That scared me up. The thought of being captured and lying in a northern prison in my condition was horrible. I could not stand the thought of such a fate. So I did not remain in the deep gully but a minute or so. Sergeant George Williams, who was afterward killed at Gettysburg, assisted me out of the gully. I had now about six hundred yards to go before I could reach the deep-cut road near the mill. I knew if I could make it there that I would be pretty safe. My route was strewn with the dead and wounded. They lay so thick that it was with great difficulty, under the withering fire of grape and canister, that I made it back to the deep-cut road. Over this entire route I dragged my hapless leg. I took shelter behind a large oak tree that stood by the roadside, in sight of Gaines's Mill. I lay down and felt pretty safe, although the shells were bursting all around me. I lay here an hour or more, watching the great number of reinforcements that were passing by, going into the battle that was raging furiously. Another charge was being made. I could hear them yelling. The wounded were carried back to the mill along this road. I kept a steady watch for our litter-bearers. I was anxious to be removed further to the rear, and I was now in a helpless condition, and it seemed I was dying, dying of thirst.

I would have freely given the whole world for a drink of water. Finally four of our litter-bearers came along, making their way back to the field. I halted them. They had lost their litter in the charge, and were using as a makeshift a big United States blanket. They spread the blanket down and placed me on it. About this time Sergeant Mattison, of Company B, came along, wounded in the foot by a piece of shell. He gave them orders to carry me clear out of all danger. They did so. In the darkness of the night they missed their way, and I was carried to a North Carolina battle-field hospital, and on that account failed to receive the attention that I should have had.

I remained at this battle-field hospital from Friday evening, June 27, 1862, until about 4 o'clock Sunday evening, when I was placed in an ambulance, with a Dutchman, who had his leg cut off. He died that night. We arrived in Richmond about midnight. The hospitals in the city were all full. We were hauled around the city from hospital to hospital, and, failing to find any room, we were then carried out to Chimborazo, a suburban hospital. Here I found a resting place in ward No. 32. It was now about 2 o'clock A. M. [354] Monday. I was very hungry by this time, having eaten nothing since I was shot Friday.

I called a servant to my ‘bunk’ and told him I wanted something to eat, that I was starving to death. He said: ‘I am sorry for you, but you will have to do without until regular breakfast.’ I then called for the ward-master. I made an earnest appeal to him, but without any success. He said: ‘It is positively against the rules, etc.’ I told him that it was hard, but I guessed I could stand it. Breakfast came about 7 o'clock. The servants waited on me nicely and brought me in plenty to eat. My wardmaster was a wholesouled and jolly kind of a fellow. I became very much attached to him. His name was Caldwell and he belonged to the First Georgia regulars. My earnest appeals for something to eat the night I was brought in caused him to become very much attached to me. Frequently the servants would fail to bring me enough to eat.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
J. W. Archer (2)
Yanks (1)
George Williams (1)
Mattison (1)
M. T. Ledbetter (1)
Jim Crow (1)
Caldwell (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 27th, 1862 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: