The National cemetery.
This adjoins the park, and is on a bluff 120 feet high, immediately on the Tennessee river
It was laid out in 1866, and contains ten and a half acres. There are buried in the cemetery the bodies of 1,239 known and 2,375 unknown Union soldiers.
It is handsomely laid out, and under the superintendence of Mr. John W. Shaw
is kept in admirable order.
There is a very good hotel near the offices of the Commissioners
, and a general store, where almost any article usually found in such places can be had.
Altogether, the park is a most beautiful one, and the work done by the Commissioners
reflects credit on their good judgment and business capacity.