previous next

[145] the battery was reorganized after the war, in honor of its gallant commander who fell in defense of its guns.

There, too, were the noble women who have perpetuated the traditions of the South, but who love the Union for which the old battery fought as loyally as it did for the South, and for which it stands ready to fight again.

The Daughters of the Confederacy will have perpetual charge of the monument unveiled today, which they received at the conclusion of the afternoon's ceremonies, from the hands of those who have faithfully worked to erect it.

The committee appointed by the Portsmouth Chapter of the Daughters to receive the monument were as follows: Mrs. Elizabeth N. Neely, Mrs. R. Emmett Crump, Mrs. Alice Parrish, Mrs. William H. Stewart, Mrs. C. W. Walker, Mrs. Beulah Lynch Cross, Miss Harriet Williams, Miss Alexinia Shannon.

The unveiling ceremonies at the monument were highly impressive. After prayer by Rev. C. J. D. Parker, pastor of the Fourth Street Baptist Church, and the singing of the Star Spangled Banner by a trained chorus of twenty-five voices, under the direction ot Mrs. J. Griff. Edwards, Captain John H. Thompson, a former gallant commander of the battery, made an historical address. ‘The Bonny Blue Flag’ was then sung and the formal act of unveiling performed by Miss Annie Emmerson, a niece of Captain Arthur Emmerson, who commanded at Craney Island in the War of 1812, and Miss Palmetto Grimes, a daughter of Captain Carey F. Grimes, who led the command to victory on many a hard fought field in the Civil War.

The ceremonies took place upon a stand erected by the city. The stand and the monument itself were during the day beautifully decorated by a committee of ladies appointed by the Daughters of the Confederacy. The committee consisted of Mrs. Paul C. Trugien, Chairman; Mrs. John W. H. Porter, Mrs. F. S. Hope, Miss Lucrece Schroeder, Miss Jennie Shea.

When the covering fell apart, it disclosed the only peace monument in the South, the crossed banners of the Union and the Confederacy, bearing evidence to the veterans' love of both.

After the singing of ‘Tenting on the Old Camp Ground,’ Colonel Stewart delivered his oration, ‘The Patriotism of Peace.’ ‘Dixie’ was then sung, and the report of the Treasurer, Mr. W. B. Lynch, read.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Craney Island (Virginia, United States) (1)
Camp Ground (West Virginia, United States) (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1812 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: