Men who marched and fought well. From the times-dispatch, May 20, 1906.List of officers and Roster of Company E, Nineteenth Virginia Infantry.
This company was organized April, 1860, and known as ‘The Piedmont Guards,’ with headquarters at Stony Point, Albemarle county, Va. On the 10th of May, 1861, at Culpeper Courthouse, Va., it was mustered into service by Lieutenant-Colonel John B. Strange. The first colonel of the regiment was Philip St. G. Cocke; the first lieutenant-colonel, John B. Strange, and the first major, Henry Gantt. Lieutenant C. C. Wertenbaker, of Company ‘A’ was detailed adjutant. He was afterwards promoted and assigned regiment's adjutant. In the fall of 1861, Colonel A. T. M. Rust was assigned to command the