Memorials to men who fell at Spotsylvania. From Richmond, Va., Times-dispatch, May 13, 1909.Monuments are unveiled at Bloody Angle and Salem Church—Tributes paid by North and South to victims of famous battles.
Fredericksburg, Va., May 13, 1909.A memorial tablet on the battlefield of ‘Bloody Angle’ and a monument at Salem Church in memory of the New Jersey volunteers who fell on the battlefields of Spotsylvania county in the Civil War were unveiled to-day. Colonel E. C. Massey, representing Governor Swanson, delivered the address of welcome at the tablet unveiling. General Joseph Plume then transferred the memorial to the State of New Jersey, and Governor Fort, of that State, made a speech accepting and transferring it again to the Fifteenth New Jersey Volunteer Veterans' Association. An address on behalf of the latter body was delivered by Theodore F. Swayze, of Washington, D. C. Similar addresses of presentation and acceptance were made at the unveiling of the monument. Miss Lena Rowe and Miss Grace Jones, of this city, and Miss Jennie Cawley and Miss Miriam Gordon, of New Jersey, jointly drew the cords which disclosed the memorials to public view. One of the events which excited most interest was the return of the battle flag of the Fourteenth Georgia Regiment. Representative Parker and Colonel A. W. Whitehead made speeches. About 400 members of the New Jersey Veterans' Association were in attendance. Lunch was served on the battlefield. An immense crowd gathered at Salem Church to witness the unveiling of the monument, the parade from the Bloody Angle being two miles long. The ceremonies began at 3 o'clock with prayers. J. Taylor Ellyson, Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia, represented Governor Swanson and delivered an address. After the