May 8 of that year Samuel Payson
, Elias Phinney
, and Joel Tufts
were appointed to select a location for the new house without the Neck, and a week later it was voted that the new Milk Row School be erected where the former one stood.
and James K. Frothingham
were the building committee, and it was decided to build of wood.
This house was completed in October.
Its sides were filled in with brick, and it was ‘finished in a plain, neat style, with two coats of paint on the outside’; the cost was $675. October 22 the school, which was in charge of Miss Charlotte Remington
, was visited by Messrs. Turner
, Isaac Tufts
, and Frothingham
They were highly gratified with the specimens of the children's improvement, particularly in reading.
This was the first examination in the new building.
The winter term (1819-20) was taught by Daniel Russell
, and March 20 the school passed an examination ‘which was highly creditable to themselves and their instructor.’
There were present Messrs. Turner
and Joel Tufts
, ‘and a large number of interested spectators.’
The whole number on the rolls was 92; present on this occasion, 35 girls and 26 boys.
October 13, the school at Winter Hill
, under Miss Julia Remington
, was closed.
Owing to unfavorable weather, the examination which was to have been held was not attended by any of the board.
, of the Neck School, resigned, much to the regret of the committee, and was succeeded, June 11, by Charles Fiske
, who taught only to December 11, when Rev. William Collier
In September the lower floor of this schoolhouse was finished suitably for a schoolroom, and it was occupied by a school of small children, with a female for instructress.
Schools for poor children were held from May to November.
These were in different sections of the town, and were visited November 13.
The trustees found 26 under Mrs. Rea
, 40 under Miss Susan Wyman
, and 30 under Miss Mary Frothingham
, 96 in all. These teachers received $2.50 per week for 30 scholars.
The school for girls (over seven years of age) was kept six months, and also closed in November.
In April (1820) it was