, at which some handsome specimens of writing were particularly noticed.
The number present, out of a total of 119, was 32 boys and 40 girls.
The whole number of school children —outside the primary departments—was about 750, or 66 more than attended last year; $3,400 will be necessary for the coming year.
At town meeting May 6, 1822, John Soley
, Philemon R. Russell
, Isaac Tufts
, and J. K. Frothingham
declined to serve on the board of trustees.
They received the thanks of the town for their services, and Rev. James Walker
, Nathan Tufts
, 2d, Joseph Phipps
, and Samuel P. Teel
were elected to their places.
was chosen secretary.
The town also voted to buy the land, with the building thereon, now occupied by the female school, but Mr. Collier
declined to sell for the present.
May 11, 1822.
Voted that Nathan Tufts
attend to the care of the female school at Winter Hill
and the school at Milk Row; that Samuel Teel
have charge of the upper schools.
October 22, these two gentlemen were empowered to, dispose of the old schoolhouse at No. 5.
The school for females opened May 1, under Josiah Moody
and Miss Sprague
In July Mr. Moody
was succeeded by Melzer Flagg
The school closed the last of October.
It was opened again May 5, 1823, with Luther S. Cushing
and Miss Sprague
In July, No. 2, at the Neck, was vacated by Samuel Moody
, and Joseph Reynolds
was appointed to succeed him. Schools for poor children were kept six months in different parts of the town, under the care of Mrs. Rea
, Mrs. Thompson
, and Miss Jefferds
‘About 100 children had this privilege.’
The school at Milk Row (No. 3), under the charge of Mr. Blanchard
, was examined in April, and was found in a good state of improvement.
Forty-four were present out of a total of about 100.
Present: Messrs. Turner
, and Tufts
. No. 4 and No. 5, at the upper part of the town, as far as returns have been made, have been satisfactorily kept.
The whole number of children, about 760, Present at the last examination: at No. 1,