previous next

‘ [99] of the town, will render the formation of a new district and the erection of a new schoolhouse, if not at this moment, surely within a short period, absolutely necessary.’

February 16, 1824, it was voted to refer to the selectmen at town meeting this petition of the ‘inhabitants living from Mr. Joseph Adams', Senior, on Winter Hill down to Richard's tavern at the Neck.’ April 14, Messrs. Parker, Tufts, and Phipps were a committee appointed for contracting with some suitable person for erecting a schoolhouse on Winter Hill road. Jeremy Wilson was engaged to build a house on the Pound lot, thirty feet by twenty-four feet, at a cost of $500. At town meeting, May 3, 1824, the committee on new school building report that it will be completed in about twenty days.

April 9, Milk Row School was examined by Messrs. Parker, Tufts, and Phipps, and a number of visitors. The government appeared very good. The scholars were examined in reading, spelling, grammar, writing, geography, and ciphering, ‘and some of their branches was very well.’ The number of children present was 56, out of a total of 107 belonging. They were addressed by Mr. Parker.


As Nathan Tufts, 2d, and Rev. Edward Turner resigned, Chester Adams and Thomas Hooper ‘were chosen in their room.’ This was at the town meeting held May 3, 1824, when it was also voted to district the town for the purpose of establishing primary schools for children between the ages of four and seven, the trustees to report on the same at the next March meeting. School No. 4, near Alewife (‘elewive’) bridge, was to be superintended by James Russell; No. 5 by Samuel Gardner; No. 3 by Messrs. Hooper and Phipps. They were also to have charge of the new school on the Pound lot.

November 2, 1824, Robert Gordon, of the grammar school, is spoken of as lately deceased, and the vacancy is supplied by engaging Peter Conant.

It was voted at the May meeting that the female school on Austin street be kept through the year, instead of six months. Mr. Barrett (?) and Miss Sprague have continued here and given

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Winter Hill (Wyoming, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 3rd, 1824 AD (2)
1825 AD (1)
November 2nd, 1824 AD (1)
February 16th, 1824 AD (1)
1824 AD (1)
May (1)
April 14th (1)
April 9th (1)
March (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: