March 5, 1782.
For his second wife, the mother of his children, he married Hannah Adams
III., p. 89). Dr. Paige
, the historian of Cambridge
, says that Joseph Russell
, the father, lived on the north side of the main road in Menotomy
, on the first estate west from the river (Alewife brook
), but in 1730 exchanged estates with Captain Samuel Whittemore
, and removed into the borders of Charlestown
, now Somerville
, where his home was on the road leading to Winter Hill
The ancient homestead of this branch of the Russell family was destroyed by fire not many years ago. Its site, on the easterly corner of North street and Broadway, is marked by a well and an old pump, which is still standing.
About the time Edward Gardner
was teaching in his home district, others of his name renewed a family interest in the school by accepting positions on the school board.
As early as 1738 (Vol.
III., p. 16), Henry Gardner
was a member of the local committee outside the Neck, and for five consecutive years previous to May, 1753, was serving his district.
October 10, 1776, Samuel Gardner
was serving in this capacity, and his name is found upon the records every year, I believe, up to 1782.
In August, 1779, Philemon Russell
received £ 18, and June, 1780, Edward Gardner
, £ 14 19s 6d (probably for teaching in their respective districts, as Samuel Gardner
and Amos Warren
were on the school board at the time). Edward Gardner
in 1782, and as late as 1786, served on the committee, and Mr. Russell
's name occurs in the same connection, year by year, to the end of the period which we are considering.
Another teacher, in one or the other of these districts, was James Gardner
, who received, through Collector Hawkins
, pay for his services, August, 1786.
We have mentioned the name of Amos Warren
He was serving in 1779, and again in 1784. August 2, 1784, Amos Warren
and Samuel Gardner
are allowed to keep tavern.
We are justified in concluding that, previous to 1786, there was no public school building in these two districts.
Several references to private quarters that were hired for school purposes are found upon the town records.