Square, an Historical Festival, continuing for one week, depicting various historic events in the life of our city and country, and which for its kind has never been equaled in this vicinity, and will long be remembered by those who attended.
Since then the committee on essays has furnished for us at stated intervals each season a series of topics by persons celebrated in historical research, touching, not only upon every detail of value to our own city, but upon subjects interesting to the lover and student of bygone days, most all of which have been published in the Society
's organ, called Historic Leaves
The first number was issued early in 1902, and although published at considerable expense to us, it has been steadfastly continued until the present day, in the belief that without such an organ there would be no permanent record of the Society
It may not be appreciated fully in our day, but in time to come many of its subjects will be of inestimable value, like the ‘Minutes of the Stamp Act,’ which could not be found, and were given up as destroyed, until some person eager for research discovered them in an old leaky garret in Baltimore
and brought them to light, to the great assistance of history, and so I am in hopes that our efforts will be appreciated in time.
We read in our histories and school books, and hear from speakers in the pulpit and rostrum, about Concord
, and Bunker Hill
, and these names are familiar to almost every child in America
, but if in the future our own city receives its just deserts, Somerville
will be coupled with them, for would you believe it, we have right here about us just as many sites of celebrated events.
On December 12, 1898, the Society met at the historic Tufts House (General Lee
's old headquarters) for the first time, in the shape of a house-warming, having leased the same and furnished it with gifts received from the various members, and there our meetings were regularly held until May 1, 1905, when for various reasons it was deemed advisable to return to our apartments in the Public Library
, where we have been ever since.
In 1899 a committee on Historic Sites was appointed, and through their efforts an appropriation was made by the city council, and certain tablets have been erected commemorating