years old, had then been thirty-seven years in the ministry, having filled over twenty appointments to pulpits in Maine
, New Hampshire
, and Massachusetts
He was a zealous preacher, much respected by all who knew him, and under his guidance the church prospered, and succeeded in building a new and commodious edifice on Webster Avenue, which building is now the Parochial School. ‘Father’ Baker
pursued other callings to eke out a livelihood; it was said of him that although his salary was increased from year to year, he never at the highest received over $600 per annum during his life.
What a poor pittance for piety were these few ‘Peter-pence!’
, whom we knew as ‘Mother’ Baker
, was an exemplary Christian, well worthy to be the consort and companion of so good a man as ‘Father’ Baker
died in Somerville
August 7, 1864, aged sixty-seven years, and his wife died here December 20, 1885, aged eighty-seven years.
I have spoken of Franklin Hall.
It stood where the new engine house in Union Square now stands, between Somerville Avenue, then Mil Street, and Washington Street; it was built sometime previous to 1852 by Deacon Robert Vinal
The main building was used by D. A. & S. H. Marrett
as a grain and grocery store, and for a considerable time the post-office was kept there by them, on the easterly Milk Street corner of the building.
Our chief of police
, Mr. Parkhurst
, was at one time a clerk in the Messrs.
In the second story was the hall used for all kinds of meetings and entertainments,—as a church, as a drill room for the Somerville Light Infantry, a hall for political gatherings and harangues, for fairs, for concerts, colored minstrel and sleight-of-hand performers, and for the meetings of the Franklin Institute.
The Franklin Institute was a library and debating association.
Its first meeting was held December 3, 1852, at which James S. Tuttle
was temporary chairman, and Thomas Gooding
Upon the permanent organization, Quincy A. Vinal
was elected president, and J. Manly Clark
and Thomas Gooding
vice-presidents, and Charles F. Stevens
It had about