House in Somerville. A second purchaser, of twenty acres, was Deacon John Bradish, a celebrated real estate trader of his day. He always styled himself, even in his deeds, ‘glazier of Harvard College,’ and he held this unique position for forty years. By 1753 Rev. Thomas Prentice had disposed of more than seventy acres of the original grant for £ 443. Much of the property remained within the Prentice family. In 1773 Johns Hutchinson, whose descendants at the present time own all but about ten acres of the original grant, made his first purchase from the Brigham tract, paying Henry Prentice, an uncle of the Rev. Thomas, £ 50, 13s. 4d. for nine and one-half acres ‘on 1Turkey Hill’—the first mention of this name in the deeds. John Hutchinson owned and occupied the Nowell-Broughton-Gardner farm of about seventy acres adjoining on the Charlestown side of the line, and at his death in 1783 had acquired, also, some forty acres of the Brigham place. In 1817 his son Thomas6, to whom the farm later descended, bought twenty-two and one-half acres more, twenty of which were ‘Brigham land,’ of Daniel Reed, of Charlestown, making all but about eight acres, on the southwest side, of the original grant. At the death of Thomas6 in 1863, the property was divided among his six children, and most of it is still held by their heirs. No building ever has been erected on the land originally owned by Thomas Brigham. It is now partly tilled. The Hutchinson homestead, on the original Charlestown side, on the old Nowell farm, and replacing the buildings erected in 1743–'45, and burned a few years ago, stands on the corner of Ridge Street and Hutchinson Road (Fruit Street), Winchester. It is occupied by Mrs. Mary A., widow of Thomas7 O. Hutchinson, a daughter, Miss Mary A., and a son, Thomas8 M. Hutchinson, the well-known antiquarian, to whose generosity and exhaustive researches, covering many years, the writer is indebted for many of these authenticated facts relative to the ‘Brigham Farme on Ye Rocks.’
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Company E , 39th Massachusetts Infantry , in the Civil War .���(Iv.)
Report of the Committee on Necrology of the Somerville Historical Society .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.