She was followed that winter by Joel Pierce
, ‘an experienced, thorough teacher; very precise in his regulations and mode of teaching.’
The school numbered eighty scholars.
He was the last male teacher to preside over the Milk Row School, and received $192.50.
In the spring of 1839 a new teacher, Miss Mary Dodge
, was hired to teach at ‘School No. 5
According to recommendations considered the year previous the trustees now made a radical change in the schools without the Neck; the one at Prospect Hill
was elevated to the grammar grade, and four primary schools were established,—the Prospect Hill
, the Upp:r and the Lower Winter Hill
, and the Milk Row
The two at the upper end of the town, namely, the Russell and the Gardner Row
, were still designated as district schools.
The change necessitated some slight alterations in the existing buildings, involving a total outlay of $788.37. The report adds: ‘The cumbrous desks have been removed from the Milk Row
and Winter Hill
schoolhouses, and these have been fitted up for the better accommodation of the primaries.’
was the person engaged to make these changes.
As Miss Dodge
had not given satisfaction, by a unanimous vote of the trustees Mis Burnham
was recalled to the place in November, as teacher of ‘School No. 20
,’ or the Milk Row
Primary, as our old school was henceforth to be called.
Hers was the largest of the four primary schools, being larger than the two on Winter Hill Road together, and more than a third larger than the primary department at Prospect Hill
The average attendance of her school, for some reason, was the lowest.
This was about the condition of things at Milk Row when Somerville
, with a school population of 294—less the number that was set off to Arlington
, say thirty scholars—was created a new township in March, 1842.
The local trustees for Milk Row district, under the old regime, and after Guy C. Hawkins
retired in 1835, were Alfred Allen
and James Underwood
, one or both, till the division of the town.
died in office March 4, 1840.
Among the few things inherited by the new town of Somerville