previous next
[76] a move to have an article inserted in the warrant for the next town meeting, to see if the town would authorize the purchase from Messrs. Coleman and Brine. Mr. Brine was naturally active in the matter, and may have been one of the prime movers in the whole transaction, for his interest in it as a business affair was of the utmost importance to him.

An active part was taken by John R. Poor, not only in the preliminary proceedings, but also in the transactions which led to the completion of the purchase, and much credit is due to him. in furtherance of this scheme of purchase, an article was inserted in the warrant for a town meeting to be held on the 11th of June, 1870, when, on a motion made by myself, though the fact had long ago been forgotten, and was only brought to mind, recently, by an examination of the records, it was voted ‘that a committee of five be appointed by the chairman, who shall be, and they are, hereby authorized to purchase a lot of land situated on Highland Avenue, School and Medford Streets, and the Boston & Lowell Railroad, and adjoining land already owned by the town, and that the sum of thirty-four thousand dollars be appropriated therefor; said land to be used for any purpose for which it may be required by the town.’ Then on a motion, naturally made by the same person, as he was a member of the finance committee of the town, it was voted that the treasurer be authorized, with the approval of the finance committee, to borrow $34, ()00.

The committee appointed by the chairman or moderator to make the purchase consisted of John R. Poor, chairman, Reuben E. Demmon, Charles H. Guild, Christopher E. Rymes, and Oren S. Knapp,—all representative men in Somerville. The land,—about eight and one-half acres,—was purchased for $33,683.70, and the whole transaction was perfectly legitimate, straightforward, and honorable on the part of all concerned,— grantors and grantee. This last sale and purchase comprised all the land of the original Sleeper purchase of 1835, not at that tine owned by the town; except the Fenno lot, which was bought a few months later, and the land of the First Congregational society, which was not bought till 1893,

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1893 AD (1)
June 11th, 1870 AD (1)
1835 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: