This, then, is the story of Land on Barberry Lane.
Its area now, as seventy years ago, is intact.
Its original boundaries still remain, and the highways and the railroad that held it then in their rigid grasp, hold it now. The names of these highways, it is true, have been changed, but that is all. Barberry Lane is now Highland Avenue; a rangeway (erroneously called land of John Tufts
in the deed) is School Street; the aristocratic Boston & Lowell Railroad, with its original par value of $5100 per share for its stock, is now substantially the Boston & Maine Railroad; Craigie Road leading to Medford
is Medford Street, and a rangeway separating the land from land of Fosdick
is now Walnut Street.
Of the nine men who were active in the purchase of the large tract of land in 1870, only one is now living, the member of the finance committee already mentioned.
Future generations will pass over and stand upon our Central Hill
, and not a person will know, perhaps, what thought, and time, and painstaking were required that Somerville
might become the possessor of that sightly and historic spot.