of Richmond, N. H.
Of the five children of this couple, two died in infancy, and one, at least, lived in Somerville
in after years.
This one, Lucy Stone Bolles
, was married to James Freeman Wood
January 7, 1841, by Rev. William Hague
They lived in Boston
on Federal Street for twenty years, then moved to Somerville
, where Mr. Wood
died October 10, 1864, at the age of fifty-four years. The widow lived on Bow Street for many years.
The last years of her life were passed in the home of her son, James A. Wood
, of Cambridge
Her daughter, Miss Sarah Bolles Wood
, was for thirty years a clerk at the Registry of Deeds.
She was of a sweet and retiring disposition, much interested in church work.
James A. Wood
married Caroline A. Blaisdell
April 19, 1870. Two of their four children live with them at Cambridge
Nathaniel Tufts Stone
married May 25, 1817, Sarah Rand
, daughter of Thomas Rand
, who lived under the old elm tree on Somerville Avenue, near the foot of Central Street. They lived for a time in the old house which was moved before Pythian Block was built, before mentioned.
Nathaniel died in 1822 of consumption.
A child was born the following year, and named for his father.
Of the three born previously, the eldest, Charles Henry
, lived with an uncle and aunt in Cambridge
, and was drowned in the Charles River
at the age of fourteen. One died in infancy.
A lady now in the nineties remembers the old house which she used to pass on her way to school, and she has a picture in her memory of Nathaniel Tufts Stone
sitting in his hallway.
It seemed to her that the house was not an old one, being painted, not weather-beaten.
She tells this anecdote of Mr. Stone
: that one day, in April, he had some business in Cambridge
, or the port, and drove over in a sleigh, there being considerable snow on the ground.
It was a very warm, spring-like day, and when he came out, after finishing his business, the snow had all melted away.
married Robert Sanborn
, and they lived for many years on Bow Street. The house stood some little distance from the corner of Walnut Street. It had a flower garden