, was born December 28, 1819, in the old house at Union Square, twice before referred to in this paper.
After schooldays, he worked for a time in the Middlesex Bleachery
, making boxes; then went to Cambridgeport
to learn the carriage-making trade of Mr. Davenport
, afterward one of the firm of Davenport
Here, or when he worked for Edmund Chapman
, of Cambridge
, he became acquainted with Silas Holland
, for whom Holland Street was named, and with Frank Chapman
, for whom he afterwards worked.
The young men kept up a friendly rivalry at their work, trying to see who would be the first to show a carriage body put together in the rough after a day of brisk work.
In 1850 he established a home, and started business for himself at Union Square, making chaise bodies and carriage and wagon bows, and also buggy bodies for Thomas Goddard
When the Somerville Light Infantry was formed he was chosen armorer.
Of a retiring disposition, he took little part in public affairs, being content with turning out first-class work in his chosen vocation.
The day's work was livened by the whistling of merry tunes.
He had a warbling whistle which rivalled the bobolink's note.
He was a constant attendant at the meetings of the First Congregational Society in Somerville
He was a trustee of the Somerville Savings Bank from the beginning until his death, in 1896.
He married Emma M. Cutter
, of West Cambridge
After living for twenty years at Union Square, he moved to Central Street, and built on the spot occupied by his former home a brick building which bears the family name.