first, December 26, 1752, the second, March 7, 1755.
Both served for a short time in the Revolutionary Army
, in different companies.
was a corporal in Captain Benjamin Lock
's Company, Lieutenant-Colonel William Bond
's (late Thomas Gardner
's) Thirty-seventh Regiment.
His age is given as twenty-three years, his stature as five feet, ten inches. The company return is dated Camp Prospect Hill, October 6, 1775.
There is company receipt for wages for October, 1775, dated Prospect Hill
, and an order for money in lieu of bounty coat dated Prospect Hill
, December 22, 1775.
, of Cambridge
, a private in Captain Benjamin Edgell
's Company, Colonel John Jacob
's Regiment, enlisted July 6, 1778; service, five months, twenty-seven days, including travel home (sixty miles); enlistment to expire January 1, 1779.
His name is also mentioned on the muster rolls of the same company and regiment dated at Freetown
, September 13 and October 18, 1778.
In 1782 Seth Stone
bought ten acres of land of Isaac Mallett
, next the Powder House
; two years later this land was deeded to Peter Tufts.
The births of three children of Seth and Mary Stone
are recorded in Medford
, where they owned a pew in the church; the pew was sold by the widow in 1796.
The claim that Seth Stone
at any time resided in Somerville
, then a part of Charlestown
, is based on land transactions in which he is mentioned as of Charlestown
in the years 1782 and 1785; previously he was of Cambridge
; in some of the deeds he is designated as ‘gentleman.’
Of the three children of Seth and Mary Stone
, one daughter, Susanna, married and lived in Somerville
She was born May 10, 1783; she married April 27, 1807, Benjamin Tufts
(son of John Tufts
, son of Peter and Ann Adams Tufts
). They lived for a time on Broadway
, on the site now numbered 280.
Later they lived in the old Hawkins house, which stood on Washington Street, near the railroad bridge, and there Benjamin Tufts
His widow moved to the old Cutter house on the corner