there was a house.
It was not until 1793 and 1795 that he bought land on Bow Street, where was located the ‘home lot’ mentioned in the partition of his real estate
after his death, bounded southerly by ‘Milk Row, so called,’ which at that time took the course now laid out as Bow Street. At a later date he possibly lived in the old house, formerly in Union Square, which was moved before Pythian Block was built.
This house was moved to Medford Street, and perhaps to this day the front door bears the original knocker.
In the records of his land transactions there are three different words used to describe or designate his station or occupation.
The first is ‘cooper,’ the second ‘husbandman,’ the third ‘yeoman.’
Possibly these indicate the different steps of his advancement and prosperity.
Probably he took some part in the affairs of the town, especially those connected with his immediate neighborhood; if he did so, it is buried in the manuscript records of Charlestown
That he was looked up to in his own family is shown by the fact that all the children called him ‘Sir Stone.’
Whether or not this is a contraction of ‘grandsire’ is a conundrum we cannot now answer.
He was associated with Timothy Tufts
, Nathaniel Hawkins
, Samuel Kent
, Samuel Shed, and others in the purchase from Samuel Tufts
of a lot of land for a cemetery in 1804.
This was the well-known rectangular lot on Somerville Avenue at the foot of School Street, on one corner of which stood the school known as the Milk Row School.
There is an old Bible containing ‘the records of Mr. John Stone
and Mrs. Mary Ston
's children and the time of their births.’
They were blessed with thirteen, two of whom died in infancy.
was born October 27, 1780.
was born November 14, 1781.
was born August 4, 1783.
was born August 8, 1784.
, born December 2, 1788.
, born June 7, 1790.