The Author of ‘Mary had a little lamb.’
[Read Before the Somerville Historical Society December 8, 1908.]
was born in Townsend
, Vt., in 1805.
He had no special education save the training of the farm, the home, the meeting-house, and the common school.
At the age of twenty-one he came to Boston
, and in a few months secured the position of attendant at the McLean Asylum
in Somerville, Mass.
, and in a few years he had passed through all the grades of its services.
He remained there thirty-six years. He was associated with such distinguished men as Dr. Wyman
, Dr. Luther V. Bell
, and Dr. Booth
, and was on most friendly terms with those who succeeded him.
In 1835 he married Miss Mary E. Sawyer
, of Sterling, Mass.
In 1862 he gave up his position at the asylum, and built a handsome residence near the corner of Central and Summer Streets.
This house is now occupied by the Unitarian
minister and his wife.
In the house are two full-length portraits of Mr.Tyler
and Mrs. Tyler
His taste and skill in laying out his grounds were remarkable.
He knew the habits and history of all the trees on his grounds, and something of the parasites that fed upon them.
He was a representative to the State Legislature for two years, and the oldest vice-president in point of service in the Five Cents Savings Bank at Charlestown, Mass.
Many private trusts were confided to him, and although he had no children, his wards were numerous.
He was a man of pure habits and resolute purpose.
‘The dominant note in his character was justice, and the harmonies of his life were set in that key.’
His ‘last will and testament’ caused much comment.