The teacher was Miss Harriet Kimball, who afterwards became the wife of a Mr. Loring, and their son was the proprietor of the well-known circulating library in Boston. John Roulston was the nephew of Rev. Samuel Capen, who was then settled in Sterling. The day after the lamb's visit to school young Roulston rode over to the schoolhouse and handed Mary the first three stanzas of the poem:—
Mary had a little lamb,Of its snow-white wool she knitted some stockings, and in 1886, when the patriotic women of Boston wished to raise money for the preservation of the Old South Meeting-House, they asked Mrs. Tyler to assist by giving a pair of these stockings. She complied with their request. The stockings were raveled, and bits of the yarn fastened on cards on which she had written her name. These sold for a hundred dollars. A second pair was raveled, and another large sum was raised. John Roulston gave Mary the poem in 1815. She and her
Its fleece was white as snow,
And everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go.
It followed her to school one day,
Which was against the rule;
It made the children laugh and play
To see a lamb at school.
And so the teacher turned it out,
But still it lingered near,
And waited patiently about
Till Mary did appear.