, to whom the writer of these pages is greatly indebted for information.
She must have been a good teacher, as she was employed for several seasons.
Later she became the wife of a Mr. Butterfield
, a neighbor's son.1
We now come to the name of Philemon R. Russell, Jr.
, who seems to have been first employed as a teacher in his home district for the winter of 1825-26.
For a number of winters after that, although not consecutively, we find him thus engaged.
It was he who taught the last winter term, 1841-42, under Charlestown
control, and also the first and second winters after Somerville
was employed more than once to teach at West Cambridge
, in the district known as ‘the Rocks
Philemon Robbins Russell
was born January 2, 1795, and died June 6, 1863, at the age of sixty-eight.
He received his education in an academy at Lexington
Russell Street of this city was named for him, and it was in that neighborhood that he lived and died.
He married Miss Mary Wilkins
, of Unity, N. H.
, and was survived by two daughters, Mary M., the wife of Edwin R. Prescott
, and Susan E., the second wife of the late Amos Haynes
The annual report of the trustees for 1838-39 says of Mr. Russell
: ‘His efforts and skill are worthy of the highest commendation.
He insisted upon the thoroughness of all his pupils.
His uniform practice is, if a pupil makes a blunder in recitation, he is compelled afterwards to repeat that part of his answer correctly, as a word going around the class must be spelled correctly by each one who has failed, no matter how much time it takes.’
After 1829 our school, which is sometimes designated on the records as the West Cambridge Road School, was officially known as District No. 6
During the following winter, 1830-31, James Swan
was appointed to teach in the ‘Russell District.’
He completed the term, and the next year at the ‘Female Writing School, Charlestown
,’ closely followed Reuben Swan
, who had resigned February 2, 1832.
According to Wyman