Charles D. Elliot
, always interested in the Historical Society, was an active member of its Seal Committee.
The Seal as finally adopted appears for the first time in this issue of Historic Leaves
, and the Somerville Historical Society affectionately dedicates the first use of it to his memory.
The original drawing of the Seal was made in April. 1909 by William Henry Upham
, of Somerville
, an artist and illustrator, and a descendant of John Upham
, of Weymouth
It consists of a shield outlined in gold, on which appears illustrated, also in gold, the launching of the Blessing of the Bay
, the raising on Prospect Hill
of the first American flag, and the Old Powder House
The shield is surrounded by a looped ribbon of blue, on which in gold letters is the name, ‘Somerville
Historical Society,’ and the date of organization, ‘1897.’
Regarding the Blessing of the Bay
, ‘Some time in 1631,’ to quote Mr. Elliot
the governor (Winthrop) seems to have