previous next
[50] come to Somerville territory and established himself at Ten Hills, where he evidently lived during the summers of many years, Charlestown peninsula, and later Boston, being his winter residence. On July 4, 1631, he built a bark at Mistick, which was launched this day, and called the Blessing of the Bay.

This was at Ten Hills Farm, in Somerville, just east of the present Wellington Bridge. She was of thirty tons burden, and was the first craft built in Massachusetts large enough to cross the ocean. She was constructed of locust timber, cut on the farm, and was built by subscription at a cost of £ 145. In 1632 she was converted into a cruiser to suppress piracy on the New England coast. Her energies were to be particularly directed against one David Bull, who, with fifteen Englishmen, had committed acts of piracy among the fishermen and plundered a settlement. She therefore may lay claim to the honor of having been the first American vessel of war.

Mention of the ship is made several times in the Colony Records up to 1692.

The Cambridge Chronicle in 1852 stated that the identical ‘ways’ on which the Blessing of the Bay was built were still in existence and in fair preservation. James R. Hopkins, chief of the Somerville Fire Department, who was familiar with the locality, and John S. Hayes, master of the Forster School, together with two firemen, William A. Perry and William A. Burbank, in May, 1892, secured a portion of the ‘ways’ from which the bark was launched. Three vases and two gavels were made of the wood secured, and one of the gavels is now in the possession of the Historical Society.

From the Somerville Journal Souvenir number, March 3, 1892, we take the following:—

The Powder House, or old mill, at West Somerville is unquestionably the most interesting historical relic in Massachusetts, and it has, indeed, but few rivals in New England. The exact date when it was built is not known. It was originally a grist-mill, and was probably built by John Mallet, who came into possession of the site in 1703-04. In his will, made

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
New England (United States) (2)
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) (2)
Ten Hills (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
William A. Perry (1)
John Mallet (1)
James R. Hopkins (1)
John S. Hayes (1)
William A. Burbank (1)
David Bull (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May, 1892 AD (1)
March 3rd, 1892 AD (1)
1852 AD (1)
1704 AD (1)
1703 AD (1)
1692 AD (1)
1632 AD (1)
July 4th, 1631 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: