(See next paper for Mr. Elliot
's war record.)
In January, 1865, Mr. Elliot
removed to Cambridge, Mass.
, and entered the office of William S. Barbour
During the year he was engaged in making railroad surveys from the limestone quarries to the lime kilns at Rockland, Me.
During 1866 and 1867 he was engaged in the manufacture of paper collars and cuffs, for which much of the machinery used was either invented or improved by Mr. Elliot
, and all the patterns and designs used were his own. He was possessed of considerable inventive genius.
Besides the machinery previously mentioned, he planned and made a working model for a lawn mower.
This was previous to the Civil War
, and long before this useful machine was known to commerce.
Another of his practical ideas which antedated considerably its actual adoption by the War Department, was the use of plate armor for ships.
He invented, shortly before the introduction of ironclads, a device for drawing copper bolts from ships so as to preserve the bolts; this device was patented.
Still another practical idea of which he talked, as early as 1869 or 1870, was that of perforated pipes to be built into walls and partitions, and to be connected with the hose in case of fire.
A patent for some such device has since been granted.
removed in the spring of 1867 to Brookline
, and in the autumn of the same year to Newton Centre, Mass.
In 1868 he was in the office of J. F. Fuller
, engineer for the Boston Water Power Company, where he was engaged upon sewers and other engineering work in the Back Bay
He formed a partnership in 1869 with William A. Mason
, C. E., of Cambridge
, and during 1869-70 was engaged in general engineering, street and land improvement, and the construction of the famous Beacon Trotting Park
, now occupied by the Boston
& Albany Railroad roundhouse and yards.
In April, 1870, he removed from Newton Centre to Cambridgeport
, and in December of the same year returned to Somerville
, where he opened an office in the newly-constructed