Pythian Block, Union Square. It was at this time, when asked by Ira Hill, the owner of the block, whom he would suggest as an occupant for the only remaining office in the building, that Mr. Elliot
proposed that a newspaper be started, and upon this suggestion the Somerville Journal
Previous to and during the winter of 1870-1871 he attended afternoon and evening lectures on chemistry, and engaged in laboratory work in mechanical and mining engineering, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
During 1871-1872 he was chief engineer of the Arlington Water Works, and in 1872 was elected the first city engineer of the newly-incorporated city of Somerville
In 1873 he was engaged in private practice, and employed by Middlesex County
in the widening of Somerville Avenue and the re-location of the horse railroad from the side to the centre of the avenue, and the adjustment of the damages incurred by the widening.
He was re-appointed city engineer in 1874 and 1875.
Among the important engineering works carried on under Mr. Elliot
as city engineer were the construction of the newly-widened Somerville Avenue, the construction of the Somerville part of the sewerage system for abolishing the Miller's River
nuisance, which involved the construction of an eight-foot sewer in Somerville Avenue and the filling of Miller's River
by digging off the top of historic Prospect Hill
, and the construction of Broadway Park
On January 30, 1875, Mr. Elliot
moved into a house which he had built for himself at 59 Oxford Street, Somerville
From 1876 to 1880, inclusive, he was engaged in general engineering, and as an expert in sanitary, hydraulic, and railroad work.
During 1881 and 1882 he made surveys and plans for one of the numerous Cape Cod Canal schemes.
Following this and until 1890 he was engaged in making insurance surveys in Boston
and vicinity and in Lynn
In 1887 he was made agent for the estate of James C. Ayer
, of Lowell
, and in his capacity as an engineer made plans of, and sold for the estate, all of its land