, amounting to seventy acres.1
In 1895-96 he made for the Metropolitan Park Commission the surveys and plans for the Mystic Valley
Parkway, from Winchester Centre to the Old Mystic Pumping Station at the western end of the city of Somerville
, and performed for the same Commission some work in the Middlesex Fells Reservation
From 1887 till his death he was constantly engaged as a consulting engineer, and employed as an expert by railroads, municipalities, corporations, and private individuals, and in the adjustment of damages and awards, and the apprisement of real estate
His activities covered a broad field, and his recommendations resulted in many public improvements.
His was the first suggestion to extend the Mystic Valley
Parkway from the Pumping Station
near West Medford to the Old Powder House
, afterwards constructed by the city and called Powder House Boulevard.
As engineer to the Cambridge Electric
Light Company, 1902-04, he made a request to the Charles River Basin Commission that a lock forty-five feet wide, with a depth of eighteen feet at low water, be constructed through the new dam at Craigie's Bridge, instead of one of less dimensions, which was done.
He was deeply interested in the Cross-town
boulevard through the eastern part of Somerville
, to connect Middlesex Fells with the reservations south of Boston
, and as chairman of a committee of the Somerville Board of Trade appeared many times before the legislative committee at the State House
to advocate it, and finally succeeded in having a bill passed, which, however, was vetoed by the Governor
for economic reasons.
was one of the founders of the Somerville Historical Society, of which he was president for three years. He took great pleasure in collecting ancient maps and manuscripts relating to American history, and particularly to Somerville