timely notice given, shall meet & draw their Lotts, and according as the Number of their Lotts shal be, So Shall their proportions of Land be Laid out neer or further off, the Line to begin at Jno Mousalls.
Seventhly, That the Remainder of the Common wch lies Undivided bee cleered of brush & Superfluous Trees; yt it may be rendered fit for pasturage, & ytt it be referred, to the Comitte to contrive the most Expedient wayes to Effect it.
The land herein reserved for military exercises is now that part of Charlestown
between Main street and Cambridge street, which are our Broadway
and Washington street. This land, some twenty acres in extent, remained a common until 1793, when the town sold it to the Hon. Thomas Russell
, and from him it descended to Richard Sullivan
The present Sullivan square is all that there is remaining open and public of this military common.
On January 2, 1681 (January 12, 1682, n. s.
) the committee again reported, giving a list of persons to whom the 331 commons mentioned in their previous report had been allowed; this list is too long for this paper, but the territory laid cut, and which it covered, seems to be that part of our city which lies east of Central street, between Washington street, Bow street, and Somerville avenue on the south, and Broadway
on the north, or East Somerville and Prospect and Central hills.
It is doubtful, however, if all the land up to Central street was actually divided at this time, for although the proprietors met to draw their lots in accordance with the allotment, some of them, by agreement with the committee, had other lands granted in lieu of their rights in the Stinted pasture, so that when in 1684-5 the remainder of the common was allotted, some lands east of Central street seem to have been included.
The division of the remainder of the common was made in March, 1685, and has the following record:—
Charles Towne, 1685.
A record of the Lands Laid out in Charles Towne bounds on this Side Menotamies River (being