This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This John Greene was ruling elder of the Charlestown church, and town clerk for many years. In 1681 action was again taken by the inhabitants of Charlestown regarding the division of the Stinted common. Between 1636, when the first apportionment was made among the people of the town, and 1681, there were numerous transfers of titles to rights in the common, from one owner to another, but in none of these transfers, nor in the records of 1638, and later years, or in the confirmation of titles in 1657, is there any description of lots by bounds, or any reference to rangeways or streets, or any plan mentioned covering the territory laid out and allotted. It is probable that some survey and plan of this section was made, as the people of that day were methodical in their public matters, and would hardly have attempted the granting of innumerable titles in a tract of several hundred acres of land, without some plat or plan to guide them.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.