It was to this house that the Superior
, the nuns, and the scholars of the Ursuline convent fled for protection on the night that the building was destroyed by a mob,—August 11, 1834.
The rioters came to the house twice in search of the Superior
, against whom their vengeance was especially directed, because of some incautious remarks said to have been made by her. A little deception was used by Mr. Adams
, and the mob went further in pursuit of their intended victim.
The next house was the house owned and occupied by the Mitchells, and is still standing.
A house owned and occupied by Gardner Ring stood on the corner of Marshall street. It was removed to make room for the Odd Fellows' building
A house owned and occupied by Asa Tufts
, on the first corner of still another rangeway—now School street—came next.
Farther up the hill, and near, if not on, the site of the house of Mr. Whitcomb
, stood the Chester Adams house
It had been occupied by him, but at this time (1842) was owned and occupied by William Tufts
, a farmer.
was the father of the late Hon. James Adams
, a prominent and much-respected citizen of Charlestown
, a well-known actor in his day, lived with Mr. Tufts
in this house.
The house is now located in the rear of Dr. Willis
' residence, on the opposite side of Broadway
A house, new at that time, came next, owned and occupied by J. P. Staniels
. Four years later it was owned and occupied by Charles Forster
,—as saintly a person as ever walked the earth.
His religion was a reality, and not a pretense or a cover.
He lived in Charlestown
before he came to Somerville
It was related of him at the time by a Charlestown baker that his bill against Mr. Forster
in one year for bread was over four hundred dollars, not one loaf of which went to his own house.
Of late years his house has been owned and occupied by Mrs. E. R. Sawyer
, but has now been removed to the rear.
One rangeway more, now Central street.
On the first corner stood a house owned and occupied by Edmund Tufts