twenty-five years ago. Nathaniel married Mary Pierce
They had two daughters, Mary, who was married to John Stone
in 1780, and Elizabeth, who was married to Ebenezer Smith
The latter had no children, but from ColonelStone
and Mrs. Stone
are descended the old families of Stone
, and Bonner
now in town.
Nathaniel inherited from his father the ‘Great Pasture,’ so-called, containing fifty-five acres. This pasture was bounded by the present Walnut street, Highland avenue, School street, Somerville avenue, and Bow street. There was no house on it at the time of the father's death, and, indeed, it bore only one house for more than a hundred years, or till a few years after the setting off of the new town.
This house was the residence of Nathaniel Tufts, Jr.
It will be remembered as the old house taken down a few years ago, which stood close to the eastern wall of the First Methodist Episcopal church on Bow street. Nathaniel continued to live in it till 1767, when, like his father, he died at about the age of fifty.
The descendants of Peter Tufts are more numerous than those of his brother Nathaniel.
They have numbered many hundreds, and have largely lived in Eastern Massachusetts
inherited from his father, with the farm above referred to, the dwelling bought of Russell
It is the house familiar to the members of this society as the one on Somerville avenue, which General Greene
occupied as his headquarters during the siege of Boston
It continued in possession of the family for more than one hundred and sixty years, having been long owned and occupied by the late Samuel Tufts Frost
It has been changed and added to from time to time, but still retains the appearance of a very old house; in fact, it is by several years the oldest structure in the city.
had in his possession some of the ancient window sashes with their leaded diamond panes.
There was long left in one of the great beams of the kitchen an iron staple said to have been used to hang the steelyards on in weighing the rations for the soldiers.