He had twelve children.
Peter Tufts, Jr., lived a life of great activity.
He was keeper of the Powder House
, and when in 1815 the powder was transferred to the new storehouse at the end of Magazine street, Cambridgeport
, he continued as keeper, took up his residence near the magazine and died there in 1825. Mr. Tufts
was a civil engineer by profession, and among the many Peters
is designated as ‘Peter
, the surveyor.’
He drew a plan of Charlestown
in 1818, and the mass of plans that he left behind him shows how laboriously he was engaged in the surveys of public and private property.
In public life he was prominent, having been trustee of schools, selectman for most of the years between 1806 and 1817, assessor for several terms and representative to the General Court for six terms, between the years 1809 and 1819.
His numerous descendants are scattered far and wide through many states, but have been but little identified with Somerville
, the second son of Peter
of Winter Hill
, was a scientific farmer and gardener.
During the Revolution, his father established him on the farm the house of which is now rented by the Somerville Historical society.
This house has been in possession of the family ever since, being now owned by Mrs. Dr. Fletcher
, the only child of the late Oliver Tufts
So much has been written of this—the headquarters of General Lee
,—that it is unnecessary to repeat what is well-known to the members of the society.
was born in 1755.
He married Elizabeth Perry
, who was a granddaughter of James Tufts
, a descendant of the first Peter
's second son James.
It may be observed in passing that this branch of the Tufts family, though not connected with Somerville
, from early times owned a large tract of land on and about the northeasterly slope of Walnut hill
, now partly occupied by Tufts College.
John and Elizabeth Tufts
had thirteen children.
Of these, John, Jr., lived for some time in the so-called Caleb Leland house in Elm street. He had descendants living in town till recent years; Benjamin
lived in the Hawkins house
in Washington street just beyond the abutment, and carried