1865In town meeting April 3, 1865, it was voted that the superintendent of the Town Hall cause the same to be illuminated this evening, in honor of the glorious news of the capture of Richmond. In this year a superintendent of public schools was appointed. Dr. R. L. Hodgdon first held the office.
From July 18, 1864, to March 1, 1865, fifty-three men were called for the war, but the town exceeded the call and furnished sixty-four. Cost to town, $10,976.10, with $7,824 additional subscribed by citizens. In this number, eleven substitutes were included, furnished at a cost of $4,500. The following summary shows the amount contributed by the town during the war:—
Amount paid by the town for bounties $26,386.00 Amount paid by the town for citizens' collections 25,156.10 Amount paid by the town for citizens individually 7,500.00 Amount paid by the town for State Aid 12,016.63 collected by the Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society 4,314.261 ———— $75,372.99