previous next

[164] and an unexceptionable neighborhood. All these advantages were possessed by Arlington Heights, and under the auspices of the Association vast improvements have already been made, notwithstanding that the enormous shrinkage in value of real estate in the mean time precluded the possibility of financial success.

The principal highway, 80 feet in width, called Park Avenue, built by the Association, from the Lexington and Arlington Railroad to the top of the hill, was, in 1874, extended by the County Commissioners to Belmont, and made a county road, and is perhaps the finest street ever constructed under similar auspices in this section of the country. Several members of the Association have built homes for themselves in the village; among others, Hon. Oliver Warner, Moses Fairbanks, F. V. B. Kern, and George R. Dwelley, Esqs., also Mr. J. T. White, under whose direction and superintendence nearly all the improvements have been made.

The village now, 1878, contains about 60 houses—many of which are the best models of exterior beauty and interior comfort and convenience to be found in any houses of the class in the country—and some 250 inhabitants. There is but little local trade or manufacture carried on, most of the residents doing business in Boston.1

A weekly newspaper, known as the Arlington Advocate, was established here in 1872.


1874

The town passed resolutions on the death of the Hon. Charles Sumner, March 18, 1874.

1875. The town made preparations, by appropriation and otherwise, for the celebration of the 19th of April, in this year, in conjunction with the Centennial Celebrations of the Battle of Concord and Lexington; which battle, in 1775, became a continuous one through the precincts of this town on the memorable 19th of April of that year. The day was accordingly observed as a holiday by the people of Arlington, and delegates from the town attended the celebrations which simultaneously took place in the neighboring towns. Immense throngs of people passed through the place during the day from Boston and elsewhere on their way to Lexington and Concord.

Nathan Pratt, Esq., in 1875, left a bequest of $25,000 to the

1 A small pamphlet, entitled ‘A Short Account of the Location and Prospects of the New Village at Arlington Heights, showing its advantages as a home for people doing business in Boston,’ was published by the Arlington Land Company, No. 84 Washington St., Boston.

The land in the last century belonged in part to the estate of Rev. Dr. Nathaniel Appleton, of Cambridge First Parish, Samuel and Francis Locke, and Ephraim Cooke, victualler. See sketch entitled ‘Our Predecessors,’ in paper called Our Enterprise, published at Arlington Heights, April 10, 1878

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Concord (Massachusetts, United States) (2)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1875 AD (2)
April 19th (2)
April 10th, 1878 AD (1)
1878 AD (1)
March 18th, 1874 AD (1)
1874 AD (1)
1872 AD (1)
1775 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: